Danwake da mai da yaji (danwake with oil and locally made northern Nigerian spice) Is one of those meals I ate as a child frequently, we traditionally ate this meal with broom stick instead of a fork which was the fun part of it. Danwake is basically grounded sorghum, ground cassava, wheat and beans, mixed with potash/kanwa and kuka/baobab leaf.It is a traditional northern Nigerian breakfast, but I can eat it any time of the day because is really filling and high in protein, I have also added salad to mine to garnish it and make it even healthier. Danwake flour is very easy to buy now in Nigerian markets, I have done just that during my last visit to Nigeria to avoid the process of preparing from scratch.
- INGREDIENT/KAYAN HADI
- Danwake flour 1cup
- Yaji table spoon (I eat spice a lot)
- Cooking oil of choice/Mai (As required)
- Onions/Albassa – half a bulb
- Tomato (As required)
- Cucumber (As required)
- 1 Eggs
- Avocado (As required)
- Lettuce (As required)
INSTRUCTIONS/ HADA WA
If you are mixing the danwake from scratch then follow these steps
- Mix your ground bean flour with the kuka flour.
- Dissolve the potash in half a cup of warm water, when completely dissolved start adding little at a time to your beans and kuka flour
- Keep mixing until you have a thick consistency, it should look like a thick paste not runny.
If you are using the Danwake flour like I did then follow this step (you can buy from a market in Nigeria)
- Mix the flour in a bowl with water, mix properly until you get a thick paste
- Boil your water and once it starts to bubble, start dropping your danwake paste into the boiling water in form of a ball using a spoon (Like dumplings shapes).
- Allow to cook on medium heat for about 25 minutes.
- Once cooked stain and drop your danwake into a bowl of cold water.
Your oil and Yaji Mix
- Chop some onions and set aside
- Heat your oil and then add your onion, fry till it turns golden, then add seasoning ( I like to cook my seasoning a little with the oil, to avoid eating it raw)
For the Salad
- Chop your lettuce, tomato, cucumber and avocado
- Boil your eggs
- Serve your danwake in a plate, sprinkle some yaji on it, add your oil mix and serve with your salad on the side.
This meal is not only healthy but highly nutritious, do give it a try and leave me a comment when you do.